In response to the boom of pet adoptions during the COVID-19 pandemic, the pet insurance industry experienced massive growth as well. Figo is one of the pet insurance companies helping insure our sweet, cuddly pets. However, each dog’s insurance needs vary, and, unfortunately, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution because your pet and needs are as unique as the policies on offer. Signing your dog up for pet insurance can help them live a long, healthy life and protect your bank account from high vet bills.
Figo Pet Insurance offers customizable plans to fit your budget and coverage needs. Our comprehensive Figo review explains how the company works, pros and cons, coverage options, frequently asked questions, and more.
We suggest taking note of what you like or dislike about Figo. Additionally, consider your dog’s breed or mix and any predisposed health conditions to determine if Figo has what it takes to provide thorough coverage at a reasonable price for your pet. Dive in to learn more about Figo and if it has the details you want in a pet insurance provider.
- Excellent value for money
- Offers options for 100% reimbursement and unlimited annual payouts
- Diminishing deductible decreases by $50 each year the policyholder is claim-free until it’s $0
- Coverage includes age and weight-related concerns and hereditary and chronic conditions
How Does Figo Pet Insurance Work?
- You pay a monthly or annual premium to maintain your dog’s insurance coverage.
- The waiting periods must pass before your dog is fully covered and you are eligible to submit claims.
- If your pup becomes sick or injured (after your waiting periods), you visit the vet and pay your bill, asking for a detailed receipt with line items for each charge.
- You can submit claims through the app, email, or fax. Claims must be submitted within 180 days of the service date.
- If your claim is approved, reimbursement will be sent to you via direct deposit or check.
Pros & Cons Of Figo
Figo was founded in 2013, is underwritten by Independence American Insurance Company, and averages a three-day claim processing average. The company is commended for its competitive prices, speedy claim processing, and customizable plan options.
|One of the few pet insurance companies to offer 100% reimbursement||$15 enrollment fee and $2 per month transaction fee if opt to pay monthly|
|Annual deductible rather than per-incident||If your dog suffers from a knee injury in the six-month waiting period, both knees are automatically excluded from coverage|
|No upper age limits, but dogs must be older than eight weeks for new enrollment|
|Covers non-routine dental treatment for teeth, face, and jaw|
|Optional add-ons available at a fee for wellness plans, veterinary exam fee coverage, and extra care|
|Most claims are handled within three days, although 50% are settled within one day|
|5% multi-pet discount is available|
|Your pet is covered when traveling anywhere in the world|
What Types Of Plans Does Figo Offer?
Accident & Illness Plan
Figo’s accident and illness plan covers accident-related claims, such as broken bones, foreign body ingestion, torn nail, etc., and illness-related claims, such as allergies, cancer, arthritis, vomiting, and diarrhea. These plans are the most extensive option available. Pets must be at least eight-weeks-old at enrollment, but there are no upper age limits for new pets.
Accident and illness plans are customizable to fit your budget more easily. You can choose your deductible, payout, and reimbursement from the options below. Additionally, Figo is one of the only providers to offer a 100% reimbursement option.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
Your monthly premium is based on your dog’s breed, age, location, pre-existing conditions, etc. It’s best to sign your dog up for insurance sooner than later to minimize exclusions from pre-existing conditions they may experience with age.
Figo has the following waiting periods before coverage kicks in for a condition.
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Accidents: 1 day
- Orthopedic Conditions (including cruciate ligament, knee, hip dysplasia, and more): 6 months (can be waived if a vet completes a waiver form within the first 30 days of the policy period and there are no pre-existing conditions)
Figo has three optional “power-ups” for Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fees, and Extra Care Pack. Each comes with a fee. These powerups can be removed or added at annual policy renewal.
Wellness plans aren’t insurance plans. Instead, they’re optional add-ons to a pet insurance policy to help cover the preventative expenses associated with routine medical care. Annual vet exams can cost $300 or more depending on your vet, location, necessary vaccines, testing required, and more. A wellness plan is specifically designed to help budget for the annual costs a responsible pet owner should expect to pay the vet each year to proactively help monitor and manage their pet’s health.
These plans can also help you pay for monthly preventatives, including heartworm and flea & tick treatments. Wellness plans can help you budget for routine expenses throughout the year instead of racking up a large annual vet bill you must pay all at once.
Two wellness plans are available through Figo, which have no waiting periods.
|Price Per Month||$9.50||$16.50|
|Spay/Neuter or Teeth Cleaning||$40||$75|
|Total Annual Benefits||$135||$250|
Veterinary Exam Fees For Accident And Illness Visits
Pet insurance providers handle exam fees for accident and illness visits differently. Some companies include them in coverage, while others require additional fees for coverage or exclude them entirely. Figo gives you the option to add this coverage to your pet insurance policy for an extra fee.
Accident and illness exam fees can be as high as $500 alone. Without this coverage, the exam fee expense of your itemized vet bill will be excluded from coverage (not reimbursed) with Figo.
Extra Care Pack
Figo’s Extra Care Pack includes:
- Advertising and reward if your pet is lost (up to the maximum annual benefit of your policy)
- Final respects benefit for cremation or burial expenses (up to $240)
- Vacation cancellation coverage for travel accommodation costs due to delaying, canceling, or interrupting a trip due to your pet requiring life-saving care (up to the annual maximum benefit of your plan)
- Boarding fees during a period that you are in the hospital
- Pet theft due to loss or straying (up to $150 if the pet isn’t found within 30 days)
- Third-party property damage liability if you are accountable to pay for property damage due to your pet’s actions (up to $10,000)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Figo Pay The Vet Directly?
No, Figo doesn’t offer an option to pay the vet directly. You are responsible for paying the vet and then Figo will reimburse you for any eligible expenses.
Does Figo Cover Heartworm?
Figo’s Wellness Power-up contains an allowance for vaccines, including heartworm preventative. If your dog is diagnosed with heartworm disease, it is excluded from Figo’s accident and illness policy coverage because it was preventable with medication in most cases.
With so many pet insurance options, why should Figo be your choice? Figo offers excellent value for your money with extensive coverage and competitive pricing. Before signing up, read through your policy carefully to ensure you know what is included and excluded in coverage and that you’re comfortable with the terms.
Recognize that pre-existing conditions aren’t covered by any provider, so any ailment you’ve taken your dog to the vet for in the past is most likely excluded from coverage.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to get quotes from several pet insurance providers to see how the cost and coverage compare. Just because a company is typically among the lowest price doesn’t mean it’s always the best value or that it will be the lowest for you. And a low price is only good if the coverage meets your unique needs, so read the policy closely before enrolling.