Who doesn’t love a great dog riddle? We love them so much, that we’ve included a bunch of dog riddles below from some of our readers over the years. What dog riddles do you have that you would like to share? If you want us to share your riddle, please email us and we will be sure to update this page with your riddle!
If you are looking for dog facts, you can check out more of those right here.
- Why was the dog sweating so much? He was a hot dog! Sent by Faviola, age 10, and Carlos, age 5, Puerto Rico
- What do you call a great dog detective? Sherlock Bones! Sent by by Jemma, age 10, Johannesburg, South Africa
- What is more amazing than a talking dog? A spelling Bee! Sent by Lee, age 10, Texas USA
- Where should you never take a dog? A Flea Market! Sent by Joseph, age 8, Vermont USA
- What do you get if you cross a beagle with bread dough? Dog biscuits! Sent by Julie, age 6, New York USA
- What do you say to your friend when they go away? Poodle-ooh! Sent by Katie, age 7, West Sussex, England
- What is a Dalmatian’s favorite radio station? Spot Rock 99.5! Sent by Austin, age 8, Alabama USA
- What does a dog call his father? Paw! Sent by Lyndsey, age 10, Ohio USA
- Why did the dog wear a watch? He wanted to be a watchdog! Sent by Amber, Age 12, Kansas USA
- What kind of dog likes baths? A shampoodle! Sent by Neal, age 8, Mcpherson, Kansas USA
- What type of art does a dog like to practice on glass? Nose-printing! Sent by Pavithra, Age 12, India
- What activity do you call it when a dog does a TV commercial? Paws for the cause! Sent by Sandra, age 12, USA
- What did the dog’s tail say to the dog? Lets go swing! Sent by Krystle, age 10, Oklahoma USA
- What do you get when you cross a dog and a phone? A golden receiver! Sent by Tyler, age 8, New York USA
- Why did the Dalmatian go to the eye doctor? He kept seeing spots! Sent by Ben, age 9, Michigan USA
- What did the dog say to the man who pulled his car over in the middle of the road? Park! Park! Sent by Shea, age 10, British Columbia, Canada
- How does a dog stop a VCR ? He presses the paws button! Sent by Abigail, age 7, Connecticut USA
- Holli: Why did the cat cross the road?? Jordan: Because a dog was chasing it!! Holli, age 10, Texas USA
- Jordan: Why did the dog cross the road? Holli: Because the dog was chasing the cat!!!! Jordan, age 10, Texas USA
The word ‘dog’ is not always used for four-legged furry types. It commonly has other meanings in the English language.
Idioms are phrases that mean something different than the words that make them up. For example, the phrase, “eats like a bird” means to eat a small amount. It doesn’t actually have anything to do with a bird.
Fun Idioms Using the Word ‘Dog’
Below is a list of idioms that have the word ‘dog’ in them. Read the sentences and fill in the blank with an idiom in red. Click on the answer button to find out if you are right. Have fun!
Raining cats and dogs
Meaner than a junkyard dog
In the doghouse
Let sleeping dogs lie
Dog days of summer Dog-tired
Putting on the dog
Going to the dogs
Sick as a dog
1. Jennifer worked so hard all day at school, that she was _____.
2. Sergio wanted to remember what page he was on so he _____ the corner.
3. Megan has the measles and is _____.
4. If Kristin gets in trouble she could be _____.
5. His room is _____. It’s such a mess!
6. That grumpy man was _____.
7. Last month we had very bad weather. It was _____.
8. Mom and Dad got all dressed up and went to a fancy restaurant. They were _____.
9. Don’t ask your brother why he broke up with his girlfriend. Just _____.
10. If you can’t swim, try the _____.
11. Large bookstores compete with small, family-owned bookstores in a _____.
12. The hottest part of the summer is referred to as the _____.